Friday 16 February 2024
Cape York Land Council (CYLC) has been engaged by the State of Queensland to facilitate information meetings in relation to a world heritage tentative listing for some areas of the Cape York Peninsula.
CYLC will meet with each of the native title groups for these areas during February to April 2024 to:
- provide information about the process of nominating an area for listing as world heritage; and
- ask native title groups whether they want to work with the State and Commonwealth Government over the following 3-5 years to prepare a possible future nomination of certain areas of their country for world heritage listing.
The information meeting will be held on Friday 16 February 2024 in Cairns with the Olkola Native Title group. Representatives of the State and Commonwealth Governments will be at this information meeting.
Purpose of the meeting:
The purpose of this information meeting is for CYLC to provide the Olkola Native Title Group with:
- information on World Heritage and the Tentative Listing process;
- an opportunity to meet with and ask questions of representatives of the State of Queensland and the Commonwealth; and
- discuss the next steps in the engagement process and the potential Tentative Listing of Olkola Native Title country.
Who is invited to attend the meetings?
The meeting is open to all Olkola People.
The meeting will be held as follows:
Date: Friday 16 February 2024
Venue: Rydges Esplanade
Time: 9:30am – 1:00pm
If you have any queries about this meeting or to confirm your attendance whether in person or via phone or video-link, please contact Kathrine Scott before Thursday 8 February 2024 at CYLC on free call number 1800 623 548 or by email email@example.com