The Kowanyama People’s hold native title rights over about 2,731sq km of land and waters in southwestern Cape York.
On 22 October 2009, Justice Andrew Greenwood of the Federal Court of Australia made a consent determination recognising the Kowanyama People’s native title rights including:
- exclusive native title rights over about 2,518sq km of Deed of Grant in Trust land; and
- non-exclusive native title rights over about 213sq km of sea, beach and tidal areas.
The name ‘Kowanyama’ means ‘the place of many waters’ and the area includes the Mitchell River System which has a tidal ecosystem where seasonal watering occurs over 40km. The significant wetlands area continues to be used and monitored and managed by the traditional owners.Full Profile Source: www.nativetitle.org.au
Public documents can be accessed through the Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC) website.
- Members list
- General Reports
- Rule Book
- Media releases by ORIC about this organisation
- Change of information and
- any other documentation as required by ORIC
- Mr John Clark
- Mr Robert Holness
- Mr Darby Horace
- Mr Karl Major
- Mr Griffith Patrick (Chairperson)
- Ms Priscilla Major
- Ms Tania Major (Deputy Chair)
- Mr Colin Lawrence
Phone: (07) 4060 5224
Fax: (07) 4060 5226