CYLC undertakes a range of statutory functions in connection with Native Title as defined under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth.).
These functions include:
- Facilitation and assistance functions (s203BB);
- Certification functions (s203BE);
- Dispute resolution functions (s203BF);
- Notification functions (s203BG);
- Agreement-making functions (s203BH);
- Internal review functions (s203BI); and
- Other functions (s203BJ and s203AI).
CYLC operates under the guidelines of the Program Funding Agreement and the requirements of the Corporations (Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006 (Cth.).
Irrespective of any prioritisation of functions or allocation of resources that a NTRB may be required to determine, their ultimate priority must be the protection of Native Title holders’ interests (s203B(4).