Our goal is to making a complaint or providing feedback is as easy as possible;we treat complaints seriously whether they are made in person, by telephone, by letter, by fax, or by e-mail;
- we deal with complaints quickly, politely and, where appropriate, informally (for example, by telephone);
- we respond in the right way - for example, with an explanation, or an apology where we have got things wrong, or by giving you information when we have taken any action etc;
- we learn from feedback and complaints and use them to improve our service.
This procedure gives the Traditional Owners of Cape York a way to provide feedback or to lodge a complaint and provides a transparent and accountable method for dealing with the complaint and considering feedback.
If you are not happy with the CYLCAC or its staff’s standard of service, actions or lack of action and you let us know, that is a complaint. Complaints are often about:
- what seems to be our failure to follow our own policies and procedures;
- actions of staff which seem unhelpful or insensitive;
- delays in answering a query or responding to a request for service.
This procedure will not apply if your complaint is:
- a complaint which is really a disagreement with a decision of the Board of Directors; or
- already the subject of litigation or legal proceedings.
This complaints system does not cover:
- relations between CYLCAC Board of Directors, management and staff; or
- complaints by members of staff which are covered by the staff grievance procedure.
If you have a complaint about our service:
- you can tell us by telephone;
- you can tell us in writing; or;
- you can e-mail or fax us.
First of all, please make your complaint to the person dealing with your application or enquiry. Often, telling us about it can help solve the problem without going further.
If your problem is still not solved, (or if you are unsure who to talk to) please put your complaint in writing to:
Cape York Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
P.O. Box 2496,
If you are still unhappy and your problem has not been solved, you may write directly to the Chairperson of the Land Council, who will look into the problem, and will reply directly to you with any findings.