“Consult with, and according to their directions, effectively represent, the Aboriginal peoples of Cape York to regain rights to land and sea so we can preserve our culture and make our own decisions to achieve a better future.”
The Mission Statement was set down by the Community Members who united to form Cape York Land Council over a decade ago. CYLC has continued to respect the visions set down by our elders at that time and is recognised as part of a network of specialist community-based organisations representing the interests of the Aboriginal people of Cape York. We focus on achieving timely and meaningful outcomes for constituents on land and native title matters within the area.
The values of CYLCAC are:
- Providing a vehicle for self-determination for the Aboriginal peoples of Cape York; Providing a representative voice for Aboriginal peoples of Cape York in relation to land issues;
- Respecting and recognising land rights and responsibilities of Traditional Owners of land in Cape York;
- Respecting the culture of the Aboriginal peoples of Cape York Peninsula;
- Responsible management of resources and obligations, with corresponding accountability to constituents;
- Efficient and effective management of resources;
- Transparency and accountability to government and Traditional Owners and partners;
- Providing opportunities to Cape York people to acquire management skills appropriate to their communities’ needs.